CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's - My Most Foolish and Challenging Times

Home Education Week at Principled Discovery

And we have likely all felt the fool in one way or another. Share your greatest challenge. Or one of those terrible, horrible no good, very bad days where the only thing there is to do seems to involve moving to Australia.


One of the foolish things I have done, during our homeschooling, is when I forced a daughter to learn from textbooks. Even though she was reading the words out loud to me, it was evident that she wasn't comprehending any of it. The textbooks bored her to death. I continued using them, because I had paid for them. Since then, I've tried to find learning materials that really interest my children. I'm trying to make education enjoyable for them.

My greatest challenge was in teaching reading. Some of my kids learned easily and for others it was a struggle. I pushed one of my daughters to read, when I shouldn't have. Another daughter was really frustrated with reading, so we took it slower. What works well with her is - she reads one sentence and I read another. I've had to tell myself that the children don't have to read by a certain age. My 5 children have read between the ages of 4 and 9. It matters more to me that they don't hate reading due to frustration.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This would be me:

I continued using them, because I had paid for them.

Luckily, I never bought textbooks. But once I invest the time/money for something, I try to force it even when it isn't working. Getting better, but not always.

Julie said...

The only thing I use textbooks for is to peruse the Table of Contents. What do I need to cover to say I did American History? Then I find some other way to cover those things. My daughter wouldn't learn from textbooks either. She would know all the facts, but would never put them together.

In The Potter's Hand said...

It's amazing how different they all can be. I have a really strong reader. My middle has had difficulty, but is getting there.
Thanks for sharing.

Marbel said...

Oh, I hear you on the reading. I almost drove my son to hate books with trying to get him to read. Finally we figured out how to help him learn to read in his own time and way. Guess what he's doing right now. Yeah, he's reading. "Please let me finish this chapter!"

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain! I too want to use what I pay for!
Be blessed!

Unknown said...

I've enjoyed reading your posts for Home Education Week and getting to know you. I have stuck with a program that wasn't working as well, not wanting to waste the money or time I put into it. But you are so right that part of homeschooling is being able to change what isn't working! Julie

Anonymous said...

I like to have my children have some say in our homeschool. My dh and I have the final say, but I do lay it before the Lord, consider the children and ask for their input on different aspects of it.
Blessings,
Laurie

Unknown said...

Textbooks have been a mistake we have made too, actually most curriculum we bought was a mistake. Sure it takes a little more work for me at times to create a fun lesson.

Reading was easy with our boys but proved a challenge with our daughter.

Anonymous said...

I had a child that I pushed to read also. It ended up taking quite a while and was pretty frustrating for both of us. I can definitely relate to that!

~Andrea
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/andijeane/508576/

Unknown said...

Being able to go at the pace a child needs is just one of the beauties of homeschooling. I discoverd this the hard way, when my ds just couldn't grasp a math concept. I gave up and we didn't cover math for like a week. When I tried again, he got it! And I got it...they all learn differntly and it's great that we have the opportunity to respect that. Thanks for visiting my posts, and I have enjoyed reading yours this week.

Anonymous said...

It can be hard to make sure you don't cross the line between encouraging and pushing too far. But you learn as you go- and as long as you're learning from what you're doing and improving it- you're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

My girls both went to Public School - - and then I homeschooled - - so I got to miss out on teaching them to read. I KNOW I would have screwed it all up - - LOL!! I would have been a big fat bear - - and they would have HATED reading.
Both are book lovers - - especially since homeschooling.
Thanks for sharing!