CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 12, 2008

How I Got Started Homeschooling

Heart of the Matter Meme

Before I married my husband, he told me that he wanted to homeschool our future kids. Well, I didn't. In 1990, I thought that homeschoolers were weird and I didn't fit into their category. Having children was the last thing on my mind. I married him anyhow and knew that I would be able to easily change his mind on this homeschooling thing. Shortly after getting married, the baby bug hit me. All I wanted to do was have a baby, and to be a stay-at-home mom.

When my first child was 4, I gave him preschool workbooks and he did educational programs on the computer - including basic reading software. At the time, I didn't consider this homeschooling, because he was only 4. When it was time to register for Kindergarten, I realized that we had in fact been homeschooling. I figured that he already knew the things that were going to be taught in Kindergarten. So, we homeschooled. It worked out so well for our family that we have done it ever since - for 10 years now and with all 5 children.

6 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Wow! Looks like you "fell" into homeschooling naturally and easily!
SmallWorld

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Our story is the opposite. I wanted to homeschool, husband did not.
We have just begun with our sons, fourth grade and K. Girl child, age 4, will never set foot in a school!
Husband is loving it and I think regretting he didn't give his support years ago!! Ha!

Unknown said...

Great post. We had a similar experience when we sent our first son to kindergarten...we had been "homeschooling" all along! Have a super weekend.

Mrs. Darling said...

Ellen in regards to yur comment on my site I have to say that Tink remembers all to well what school was like and I think thats why she appreciates homeschool. The kids made fun of her to no end. She came home everyday crying! Im not sure how she'll feel as a teenager but I hope its the same! :)

Mom2fur said...

My youngest is almost 18, so I'm way past the homeschooling years. Mine went to good public schools. But I tell you, with some of the stuff coming up today, I'd sure consider it if I was starting now. Back in 1990, I bet there wasn't the support you have nowadays. I read somewhere that there are over a million homeschooled kids in this country!
Hey, thanks for the comment on the little girl and the ice cream. I'm not really sure how much a pop from the ice cream truck would cost, but I'd guess close to $2. And I'm with you on sundaes at home--it's just too much fun to put it together! Sometimes, though, ya get that hankerin' for a treat and you don't have the goodies in the house. I figure if I only do it 2 or 3 times in the summer, just for me, it's a special treat. I sure wouldn't do it every day, though. I see this and I wonder if these parents realize, $2 a day is $60 in a month!? Wow, what you could buy with $60, huh?

Anonymous said...

That's great that you homeschooled from the start with all of your kids.