CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

How Can I Do It Cheaper?


Tightwad Tuesday

I ask myself this question whenever I need to buy something.

How Can I Do It Cheaper?

Our challenge is to do it cheaper - whether we are fixing the car, fixing the house, getting new shoes, getting something for homeschooling, buying Christmas presents, or traveling. It's very rare that we will pay full price for something. If you look hard enough and long enough, you'll find ways to do everything for less.

Lessons - I have never paid for lessons. (Actually, I haven't had the extra money even if I wanted to.) My child can always take Karate in college, if she really wants to. We've taught our children to swim. I've thought about taking guitar lessons and then teaching my children how to play. When my husband was little, his parents bartered for piano and swimming lessons. Our church provides music classes as a ministry and they are offered for a good price. We may do this in the future.

Groceries – To save on gas, we only do our grocery shopping on the way home from church or an appointment. I like to buy what's on sale and then figure out what I'm going to make with it. I buy only the cheapest chicken (usually thighs and legs). If a recipe calls for chicken breasts, I will use the dark meat instead. I've found that baking from scratch saves money. Recipes like cocoa brownies, blondies with cocoa drizzle, zucchini spice cake, oatmeal cookies, sugar cookies, and Snickerdoodles are usually cheaper than recipes that call for chocolate chips or peanut butter. When possible, I bake with oil instead of margarine or butter. In hamburger casseroles, I usually cut down the meat from 1 lb. to 3/4 lb. If we want a treat while we're out, we'll get a box of ice cream bars from the grocery store and eat them in the park.

Services - We've saved a lot of money by prolonging services. Putting off cell phone service, long distance service, Internet service, dental insurance, insurance on a second car, and cable TV. Even if you can prolong a service for only a few months, the amount of money will be significant.

School Supplies - I get school supplies only at the Back to School Sale in August and I get just what I really need. I don't let the kids talk me into a lot of cool looking items. At the August sales: I’ve found that buying lined paper in spiral notebooks is usually cheaper than buying packs of looseleaf lined paper.

A Homeschool Book
– I check the library, look for a used copy on the Internet, or find a similar book that costs less. If I have to buy it new – I check Christianbook.com and Amazon.com first.

Homeschool Activity or Fieldtrip
– I plan a Dr. appointment or other errand for the same day of a homeschool event. That way we save gas by taking less trips to town. We only do field trips that don't cost us any money. Paying an entry fee for 1 mom and 5 kids is out of the question for us.

8 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yup! There are so many ways to do things cheaper that don't always have to mean we wear ratty clothes and eat beans all the time.

Tara said...

Sounds like you have everything down to a science. Thanks for the advice.. I am sure I could find ways to be a bit wiser in our expenditures!

Anonymous said...

You know what else would be cheaper is if the state pays for the standardize test they want for the kids. If I had my way I wouldn't test them. At $25 a child it adds up fast.

Tara said...

Thanks for visiting my site :) I really love the encouragement lol Especially when I was dreaming of chocolate! :) It really is amazing what walking can do... Thats really all I am doing.. walking on the treadmill and doing the stretch bands thats it.. I could be doing more I know!!! lol

Canadagirl said...

Yes, there are sooooooo many small ways that add up and make a difference. Thank you for all your how to's you gave. I agree on that the cookies you listed are much more ecconomical and ones I like to add are sugar cookies, and gingerbread men cookies. [0=

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Anonymous said...

I agree that there are many ways to get things cheaper. I always wait a bit before buying things to discover--do I really need this? Where can get I get it on sale or used? The savings really add up.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Have you tried freecycle and paperbackswap yet? When I purposed to live within my husband's budget, God has really blessed that and provided many of my needs and a few of my wants through these two sources.

kathirynne said...

I agree about consolidating your errands to drive less, but do you really think that doing your grocery shopping on the way home from church is keeping the Sabbath holy?

The way I look at it, if no one shopped on Sunday, store owners wouldn't bother to open shop. Then everyone (even store clerks) would be able to observe the Sabbath.

Not trying to be contrary; just offering food for thought.