CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

Healthy Ideas for Picky Eaters

Heart of the Matter

Growing Tasty Vegetables

My kids aren't too fond of cooked vegetables. So during the Spring and Summer, we grow veggies that they like. I let them eat fresh peas, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and carrots right out of the garden. They help me pick beans and then we cook them with garlic and salt.

Buying Their Favorites
I try to get healthy foods that my kids like. Instead of forcing them to eat certain foods, I get their favorites: celery (with peanut butter), cantaloupe, tomato slices with a little sugar. The kids help me pick out healthy foods at the store, too.

Dipping Sauces
I've found that a lot more gets eaten if dipping sauces are available. My kids like to dip in: ketchup, BBQ sauce, honey, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, mustard mixed in mayo, taco sauce, and Heinz 57.

Pumpkin Muffins (lots of vitamin A)
Mix in a bowl:
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten

Mix in another bowl:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 c. raisins or chocolate chips

Then combine all the ingredients together and mix well.
Fill 12 greased muffin tins 1/2 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Helpful Links for Picky Eaters:
Top 10 Ways to Get Kids Involved
The Food Network Site - Picky Eaters
Getting Kids to Eat Vegetables
Why It's Normal for Children to be Picky Eaters

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I really like pumpkin muffins and may have to try your recipe.

Yvonne said...

Awesome post! I've featured your blog in the Heart of the Matter newsletter this week.

Anonymous said...

The dipping sauce is a creative idea. Children certainly love ketchup and your suggestions were great alternatives.