CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Encouraging My Kids to Volunteer


Encouraging my kids to volunteer Works for Me.

Kids can receive a variety of benefits through volunteering. They can:

  • explore a career field of interest.
  • become comfortable in serving others.
  • learn about subjects (like science) through hands-on activities.
  • develop and use their talents and skills to benefit other people.
  • make a real, positive difference in the world.
  • make new friends.
  • meet a variety of people.
  • gain confidence.
  • get homeschool credit.
  • earn a letter of recommendation for college or a job.
  • connect with professionals in the workplace.
  • find out if they want to pursue a particular career or field of interest.
  • learn job skills like: responsibility, time management, work ethics, accountability, and working with others.
My oldest daughter volunteers in the children's church and with VBS. My son volunteers his computer skills. As a family, we all volunteer at our church's Harvest Party in October. I've found that church is a great place to find volunteer work. I plan to encourage my kids to volunteer even more at church: doing community outreach, church clean up days, baking, and going on short-term mission trips.

6 comments:

Family O'Foxes said...

I agree....I blogged about volunteering we've done (through scouts...I have 2 girl scout troops). :)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine who is a first grade teacher just offered (last night as a matter of fact)the opportunity for Miss Sam to volunteer in her classroom. Miss Sam is both hesitant and excited at the same time. We are going today just to 'visit' the new chicks that hatched in her classroom incubator ;)

Anonymous said...

My crew and I are usually the ones who clean our church. It is a weekly ministry and one that not only allows us to serve God but keeps the church from having to pay for a cleaning service. My children and I learn so much from volunteering for this job. It is a win/ win for all!

Letitia said...

My 11 year old is planning to be a volunteer in AWANA's next year, helping the younger children. She is so excited. My older girls volunteered at different places~church, crisis pregnancy center, assisted living center, and mission trips. Of the many things they learned, I always think it is funny that one of the things Briana learned was how to make and serve coffee (no coffee drinkers in this house! Oh, and she can only make enough to serve about 40 people at once. LOL)
Letitia
www.homeschoolblogger.com/SandBetweenMyToes/

Anonymous said...

My daughter just had a wonderful volunteer opportunity open up for her yesterday.....I plan on posting about it on next Monday's Hi-Lites ;)

Anonymous said...

If anyone is interested in more information about how families can volunteer together, check out Doing Good Together (www.doinggoodtogether.org). They offer a free e-newsletter with lots of good ideas.