CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Before Homeschooling and How We Got Started


Share your personal history…before you were a home educator. What was life like? Think about things you miss and things you and your family have gained.

Before I married my husband, he told me that he wanted to homeschool our future kids. Well, I didn't. In 1990, I thought that homeschoolers were weird and I didn't fit into their category. Having children was the last thing on my mind. I married him anyhow and knew that I would be able to easily change his mind on this homeschooling thing. Shortly after getting married, the baby bug hit me. All I wanted to do was have a baby, and to be a stay-at-home mom.

When my first child was 4, I gave him preschool workbooks and he did educational programs on the computer - including basic reading software. At the time, I didn't consider this homeschooling, because he was only 4. When it was time to register for Kindergarten, I realized that we had in fact been homeschooling. I figured that he already knew the things that were going to be taught in Kindergarten. So, we homeschooled. It worked out so well for our family that we have done it ever since - for 10 years now.

If I had known that I would dedicate this many years (and 12 more) to homeschooling, I don't think that I would have started. I always wanted to do 2 more years of college and then do something for myself. Living on just one income has been a struggle, but we are getting used to it. We have learned how to live frugally and we rely on God's provision. However, now that we're into homeschooling, I wouldn't have it any other way.

The benefits to our family are numerous. I feel very close to my children and they talk openly with me. The children are able to learn at their own pace. We get to travel with my husband when he has business trips. Learning has become a way of life for our whole family. I'm able to take advantage of teachable moments throughout the day. I hope my children realize how important they are to me - important enough to dedicate 22 years of my life to homeschooling.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing that! I love hearing how people got started with homeschooling. I didn't want to AT ALL. My my hubby insisted and agree to try it for one year and that was kindergarten. I fully expected to enroll her in school for first grade!

Now I wouldn't have it any other way, either!

Tracy said...

I so agree! Thanks for sharing!
Tracy @ http://lighthouseacadmeyhs.wordpress.com

Marbel said...

Enjoyed this post. I agree - I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anonymous said...

Ten years? Unless something drastic happens, I think I will be home schooling 20 years. That is longer than I was in the work force!

Heather said...

I love all the benefits to home schooling--it is amazing to see how children grow and be so close to them.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. That is funny about homeschoolers being perceived as weird. I think some still think that today. Congrats on 10 years of homeschooling!

In The Potter's Hand said...

It's great how God changes our hearts as we grow in Him. I would have never guessed that I would be homeschooling either. Thanks for sharing.

Kim

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading it. We, too, struggle on one income and many people can't understand why we chose to do so but we are so much more blessed with our decision than any amount of money could make us. Have a great Home Education Week! Julie

Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful how you kind of fell into homeschooling! I loved your post - thanks for sharing!

~Andrea
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/andijeane/507524/

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Thanks!
Blessings,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!! It is nice reading everyone's stories!

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

Ellen I so wish my partner was like your hubby
hes taking some time to wrap his head around home schooling
Jen