CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Favorite Homeschool Moment


My favorite homeschool moment is when I see my children enjoying what they are learning.

For example: My son read the first book in The Series of Unfortunate Events. He enjoyed the writing so much that he continued reading the series over the next 2 months, until he finished all 13 books. That inspired him to do more writing. Some days, he will sit at the computer for 2 - 4 hours writing fictional stories. He also has an interest in computers. Homeschooling allows him the extra time so that he can learn how to use Flash and do game programming. He has found his interests and he is pursuing them. This is so exciting for me to watch. I'm afraid that if he went to a school that his passion for these interests would be stifled. The school would tell him what books to read and what things to write about. School also limits the time of each project. When my son gets inspired to write, he doesn't want to be stopped a 1/2 hour later because it's time to move on to Math. I'm glad that homeschooling allows for us to be flexible so that he can spend more time learning things that he is interested in.

7 comments:

momtofivekids said...

That is so exciting. I feel the same way. blessings!

Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing! and visitng my site! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I love those moments, too!! : )
Thanks for stopping by my site and thanks for sharing your insights!! : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. We love the flexibility and the ability to follow a child's interests too!

Mommy Reg said...

Thanks for visiting my blog the other day.
I agree so much about the time limits. Many times we can breeze through a subject in 10 minutes and then the next subject will take an hour because we get caught up in it, or if they don't get it right away, I love that I do not have to rush them just to get to the next thing on the list.
Blessings

Letitia said...

Same here. Both of my older girls were the same way~loved writing and writing and writing, and reading. They could have done it all day every day.
That's great that he can pursue his heart's desire. Don't you just love it?
Letitia

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

My oldest son loves the Series of Unfortunate Events as well. The differences b/t the books and the movies bug him a little, though. The books are even more miserable than the movie LOL! But I like the books and the movie.