CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Real Life Spelling

I noticed that I was getting frustrated with the Spelling lists that my kids were using. They consisted of words that people seldom ever write. In real life, if we don't know how to spell a "big" word, then the computer spell checker catches it. I'm not saying that spelling isn't important. I still correct my kids spelling when they write and suggest that they write certain words down in their "Spelling Notebooks". We also have to keep in mind that "big words" will be on an SAT test.

Here are some real life ways for kids and adults to improve their spelling:

  • Turn the spell checker on.
  • Read a lot and pay attention to how words are spelled.
  • Write misspelled and difficult words in a Spelling journal.
  • Play word games.
  • Copy poems, songs, and pages of books.
  • Write a lot: letters, e-mails, stories, and articles.

0 comments: