CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

In Their Own Words - My Children's Likes and Dislikes of Being Homeschooled

Home Education Week at Principled Discovery

Share your children’s home education experience in their own words. What have they said about their education? What are their likes and dislikes? Share some stories, some quotes, or turn your blog over to your children for the day.

I asked each of my children what they like and dislike about being homeschooled. Please keep in mind that all of my children have been homeschooled from the very beginning. They have never been to a real school. Their only idea of what school is really like comes from watching TV shows like Hannah Montana or from what the kids at church say about it.

14-year-old son:
Likes:

  • I can go at my own pace and do extra school work to get ahead.
  • I don't have to spend 8 hours with a ton of other kids. Since I'm an introvert, I can only handle so much time around other people.
  • I get to stay up late to continue working on a project.
  • I have more time at home to do my writing and computer projects.
Dislikes:
  • I am not being able to be in band and learn how to play an instrument.
  • I don't have daily access to a school library.

13-year-old daughter:
Likes:

  • I don't have to waste time riding the bus.
  • I can get my school work done quickly so I can get outside to play.
  • I get to work at my own pace so I will be able to get done early with high school.
  • I don't have to deal with bullies.
Dislikes:
  • I don't get lots of new clothes like the school kids do.
  • I don't have any school friends.
  • I don't get to join in on conversations about school when my church friends talk about school.
  • I don't get to do school sports.
  • I don't have school friends that I can go hang out with at the mall.

11-year-old daughter:
Dislikes:
  • I hate everything about being homeschooled and I'm not going to force my kids to be homeschooled.

8-year-old daughter:
Likes:
  • I get to be with my family all day.
  • I get to do lots of art projects at home with paper and glue.
  • I don't have to do science class with chemicals and little bubbles.
  • I don't have to deal with bullies bossing me around and beating me up.
  • I don't have to be around the mean teachers who give hard tests.
  • I don't have to be around the mean kids at school.
Dislikes:
  • I don't get to meet new friends - talk and hang out with them all day.
  • I don't get to eat in a school cafeteria.

6-year-old daughter:
Likes:
  • I don't have to be around the mean kids at school.
  • I get to eat and play whenever I want to.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are all different, aren't they?

I feel so sorry for your daughter who doesn't get to eat in a school cafeteria. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - - lots of different answers - - yet, very similar.
Thanks for sharing! (Oh, and tell your youngest, school lunches aren't all that....LOL!! :)

Anonymous said...

They all have their own ideas about it don't they?

I enjoyed reading all their likes and dislikes.

Stacy

In The Potter's Hand said...

They don't always give the answers we think they will give, or hope they will give. Great job.

Celly B said...

It's great to see your children's perspectives. I laughed when I read your daughter's dislike about not eating in a school cafeteria. That was the worst part of the school day for me!

Brumbemom said...

Thanks for sharing. It seems like your kids each have their own views of homeschooling. It is interesting when we just give them to freedom to write or say anything they want. My kids each typed a paragraph for today and it was quite enlightening to read what each had to say.

Heather said...

My oldest went through a stage like your 11 year old. So I did a day of school that was like traditional school (since I used to teach) including "cafeteria food" and she never asked again--they only made it half the day.

Anonymous said...

I liked the honesty in all of your kids' answers. As with anything else, there are ups and downs with homeschooling too.

Unknown said...

Your children were more talkative too...might be because mine are beat at the end of the day because we are busy packing to move.
Great getting to know the kids views.

Crimson Wife said...

FWIW, I think it's very common for 11 year olds to be unhappy with whatever situation they find themselves in. I was personally absolutely miserable during 6th grade. I "hated" my friends, my teachers, and especially my parents. In retrospect, I can see that it was 99% hormonal. Once I got through the changes of puberty, I found that life wasn't remotely as awful as it had seemed ;-)