CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Free Perennial Foods - Growing Back Yearly


Tightwad Tuesday

I am a lazy gardener. Since, I don't have a rototiller and once the biting flies hatch I don't spend too long in the garden - I have figured out how to do some gardening easily.

My favorite foods to grow are the ones that were planted by the previous owner of this house and they keep coming back year after year. Plus, they grow first thing in the Spring and they grow faster than the weeds - therefore I don't have to weed around these. I told you that I was a lazy gardener.

These foods are very frugal, because they were planted once yet they produce food yearly for free.

These are the perennial foods that I look forward to every year, at my place:

  • rhubarb
  • chives
  • strawberries
  • raspberries
  • wild blackberries
I am going to plant more perennial foods, too:
  • New Zealand spinach
  • oregano
  • basil
  • thyme
  • garlic chives
  • blueberry bushes
  • dwarf apple tree
Each spring, I also plant a small18 square foot garden filled with bush beans, bush peas, lots of leaf lettuce, and a couple of tomato plants. It's small enough that I can keep up with the weeds. Since there is no need for walking rows, I can plant the entire area with seeds. This gives us lots of free lettuce for salads, plus the lettuce regrows after it has been cut. Since beans and peas grow quickly, I can get two crops out of the same area in one growing season.

This fall, I'm trying something new - Garlic. I read that you buy garlic from the grocery store and plant the individual cloves, a few weeks before the ground freezes. They grow just like your flower bulbs do. Each individual clove develops into a full garlic bulb. I've found a site that will teach you how to grow your own garlic.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your so lucky. You have blackberries.

Anonymous said...

We have planted garlic too. It is very easy to grow. We have blueberry bushes, but not much luck with them. The birds eat them before we can pick them.

Lines From The Vine said...

Thanks for the comment! : )
We also have garlic- it grows really fast. You can check back at my site for our potatoes, they are all planted in big trash cans...really not much work- no weeding, just watering required!
Tracy

Mrs. Taft said...

Thanks for the good information and tips. I want to make a spice garden this year...

Anonymous said...

Yes, perennial foods are GREAT. You can add mint to your list too. I love pole beans and peas b/c they keep producing as long as you keep picking them .

thanks for this GREAT post.

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Anonymous said...

Not lazy at all! Very smart. Time is of value too.

Unknown said...

We are lazy gardeners too...we put our tomato, cucumber and pepper plants in pots and keep them on our screened porch. Easy to water and take care of.

Unknown said...

I looove chives and garlic. *Drool* My husband says Im the only person he knows that could eat a "salad" of just chives and minced garlic. MMm.