Being a volunteer can help you explore a career field of interest. Volunteering helps other people and organizations. It is also very beneficial to you:
- You will become comfortable in serving others.
- Develop and use your talents and skills to benefit other people.
- Make a real, positive difference in the world.
- Make new friends.
- Expose yourself to a variety of people.
- Gain confidence in yourself.
- Earn a letter of recommendation for college or a job.
- Connect with professionals in the workplace.
- Find out if you want to pursue a particular career or field of interest.
- Learn job skills like: responsibility, time management, work ethics, accountability, and working with others.
Hospital, nursing home, pregnancy care center, nursing homes, serving widows and the elderly, state park, nature center, hiking trails, animal shelter, pet hospital, animal foster care, horse care and stable worker, wildlife preserve, food or clothing drives, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, tutoring, ESL programs, library, prison ministry, orphanage, festivals, fairs, parades, hospice companion, Red Cross, language translator, waiting room reader, speaker to kids, deliver meals, disaster relief, kids recreation center, host a foreign student, teen hotline, bell ringer, after-school mentor, thrift store worker, immigrant and refugee ministry, housekeeping for elderly, concession stand worker, working farm for disabled people, maintenance and preservation projects, science museum, living history museum, computer tutor or consultant, evangelistic organizations, prison ministry, trash clean-up, construction and remodeling, political campaign volunteers, voter registration drives, help at the polls, administrative and clerical assistance at church, technical assistance at church, music ministry at church, nursery and children’s ministry worker, wedding coordinator, church photography, summer camp counselor, VBS, event planner or worker, short-term mission trip, Jr. High Youth group helper, or go to any business or organization that you are interested in and ask if you can volunteer.