CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Homeschooler Habits and Learning Through Involvement

Heart of the Matter Meme

Somehow I thought that the meme topic for today was about a Chinese proverb. Since I already wrote about that topic, I am just going to include both in this post.


Happy Habits of a Homeschooler

Even though we have flexible days for the most part, there are a few daily habits that we have developed.


  • My kids do much of their work independently and then I tutor each one for 1/2 - 1 hour. It works best if I schedule this time with each one or else they all want to go first.
  • At 8 pm we listen to Adventures in Odyssey for our Bible lesson. At 8:30 I read aloud, usually from a historical fiction book. This is what we do right before the kids go to bed.
  • The kids take 1 hour computer turns. I set the oven buzzer for 55 min. to give them a 5 minute warning, too.
  • Before they go outside to play with friends, their workbook lessons have to be done. Also, we have a 5 minute pick up time where everyone cleans up clutter, blankets, toys and straightens shoes. It's amazing how quickly things get put away when they want to go outside.
  • If we are curious about something, have unanswered questions, or want to learn how to do something - we look it up on the Internet.
  • Since we haven't done much science yet this year, I'm doing a thing right now where we all watch 1 hour of a science type show on TV every weekday.


Heart of the Matter Meme

Learning Through Involvement

My thoughts on the Quote:

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” ~Chinese Proverb

I didn't realize that this was an old Chinese proverb. There is quite a bit of wisdom in this quote. This proverb explains the the way that I learn. When I actually get involve
d in doing something I learn from it.

My husband and I try to give our children hand's on, get involved learning experiences. We have found them to be the easiest ways for the kids to learn and remember. Here are some learning projects that we have done as a family:
  • Raised sheep
  • Raised chickens
  • Raised sheep dogs
  • Did beekeeping
  • Planted and grew Christmas trees
  • Planted a garden
  • Played educational games
  • Science experiments
  • Went to hands on museums
  • Built bird houses
  • Started a backyard nursery and learned how to propagate plants
  • Went on field trips
  • Traveled
  • Volunteered
  • Made websites and blogs
Some future projects that I'd like the family to do are:
  • Make a solar project
  • Go on a mission trip
  • Build a play area
  • Visit living history museums

Join in every Monday for the Homeschool Highlight Meme.
Write a post about a highlight from your past week of home learning. Here are some ideas: an accomplishment, an event or outing, a fun learning experience, a new educational product your family is enjoying, an unexpected teachable moment.
The Homeschool Hi-Lights Meme will be available with a Mr. Linky at 11:00 pm (eastern time) on Sunday night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've done a lot of hands-on activities. I've had to learn to be more hands-on since my older son is so kinesthetic.

Anonymous said...

I love your schedule. Thank you for sharing.
The hands-on stuff was great, got new ideas!
Be blessed!

Mommy Reg said...

I love your routine that you have developed! I love the flexibility of a routine over a schedule. And all of the activities - so fun. We try to do hands on activities as a family too. The kids learn so much when we do things as a family.

Mrs. Darling said...

I like hearing of organized school days. It bleses my heart!